Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 17 let the magic begin

My free cottage back on the left

The Sales boys together again



Laura, and Dennis who just finished running the Cleveland marathon
OK, I could not even make this up. After spending four days with Rick in Eastlake Cleveland, I set my sails west this morning around 10:00 a.m. I can't even begin to express how nice it was to spend time with my brother. We had the best time just hanging out and working on that boat. We cooked and ate 6 t-bone steaks in three days. I slept on his floor next to the dog on my air mattress and sleeping bag. Nice! Last week when I was in Lakewood I went out with some friends of mine Laura and Dennis. At the time he told me he was running in the Cleveland marathon next week, and I told him if I was in town that I would come by. In the meantime I had forgotten all about it. This morning when I was riding through Cleveland I start to see all these runners. I realize that it's the marathon and I call Laura up and she says Dennis just finished. I'm sitting on my bike at the 25 mile mark and she says come on down to the finish line and say Hi. So I did and there they were. I only missed him running by about 7 minutes. It was crazy unreal! After congratulating him and spending a little time with small talk I was on my way. A nice flat ride on the south of lake Erie was on the agenda maybe trying for Sandusky Ohio.
After about 50 miles or so I started noticing these cottages all along the lake for rent. I rode by about 4 or so, then I decided to stop and ask what they were renting for. The lady took one look at me and asked if I was riding my bike across the country. I said yes. And she said for bike riders it's free! I said what? She said yep. I used to ride cross country too. She said people were so nice to her when she did it, and now it's time to pay back some of that generosity. It is the nicest cottage on the lake with the best beach and view. I am floored. Can you imagine, it's really unbelievable. I can't get over it. Now I'm sitting at my picnic table out front of my free cottage on Lake Erie inVermilion Ohio blogging my ass off. It does not get any better than this.


2 comments:

  1. 50 miles!! whats that all about? steaks get ya? what you stop at a strip joint? rick N I could have gone 100 miles LOL!!!! if you get a chance email me at jds_1960@yahoo.com...Good luck on your journey!!! keep on truckin or biking ...keep us posted. talk to u later
    Dave and Rick

    ReplyDelete