Thursday, April 9, 2009

spilled the beans







Today started out promising. After my morning coffee stop at Variety I loaded up my bike and rode to Bicycle Habitat in Manhattan and had some armadillo tires installed. 700 by 28's. Hal, the mechanic gave me some good advice about changing spokes. It's always smart to make friends with the bike mechanics. I proceeded to ride up to my favorite camping spot in Manhattan. Yes you heard that right. Under the GW bridge is my favorite place in the city. so I set up my tent and snaped some pics. Practice makes perfect. Then I rode to Piermont, had some coffee and a muffin at the Danbury coffee house. I stoped at the bike shop to have my stuff weighed. Both panniers and my handebar bag fully loaded weighed 32 lbs. Thats it ! ultralight baby! On my way home a little kid ran out in front of the cyclist I was passing on the left. He swerved left right in front of me and I bit the pavement. Ouch! I hate when that happens. Once again I could'nt get my feet out of the clips and spilled on my elbo. The last 10 miles home I could'nt get my head right and was just aggrivated. A nice sunny day though in the 60's. A 62 mile training day fully loaded. I'm happy.

1 comment:

  1. The tent looks awesome. The spill didn't sound very fun...hope you have pads on those elbows and knees! 62 miles fully loaded...what kind of time was involved? It is so weird, I feel jacked-up as you departure date approaches...I told Christina what you said about flying out west and riding back with ya...she was like "GO FOR IT!" That was kinda unexpected and it really got my mind spinning....she was like "get in shape and figure it out"...she is such a promoter! This relationship has really added a dimension to my life I never could have imagined just a few short years ago. I took a new job and start Monday...it's selling for a small independent down here in Ft. Myers, low stress and hopefully I can make some quick dough and seriously consider this idea you planted in my brain.

    ReplyDelete