Saturday, April 4, 2009


The Manhattan bridge looking into Brooklyn

Monday February 16th, 2009

After another day of walking around Manhattan I’m all the more excited about touring. Yesterday I spent the day looking at sleeping bags and tents. I think I’ve got the sleeping bag narrowed down to a western mountaineering ultra light 20 degree 850 down fill bag. It’s a little more than I wanted to spend, but I crawled in one at a local camping outlet and it felt awesome. I wasn’t really looking for a 20 degree bag, but the knowledgeable salesperson set me straight with the product I’m going to need. Better safe than sorry. As for a tent, I think I’m set on going with a Big Agnes seed house SL1 ultra light tent. Both pieces of gear have a combined weight of 4lbs. 7oz, and pack really small.
I’ve also been doing some investigative work on digital cameras. The last camera I owned was a Pentax k1000. That was 25 years ago. I’m way behind the curve. So I’ve visited many stores and asked many questions, and am still undecided. The digital SLR’S seem to be much better than the point and shoots, but they’re also heavier and bulkier. I’m not sure which is more important, the picture quality or the small size? I do know that the place to get one is at B&H on 34th street and 9th avenue. I’m going to have to marinate on that one a bit before making a choice. Or talk to somebody with some more experience and knowledge.
I enjoy talking to the various professionals about equipment choices. Everyone I to talk to gets really excited when I tell them that I’m planning a transcontinental bicycle trip. It’s always the same reaction, eyes light up, they smile, and then they start asking question. Where you going? How long will it take? Which route are going to take?

No comments:

Post a Comment