Saturday, April 4, 2009



Saturday February 14th, 2009
As I inform myself about all the ways of touring across the country on a bike, I’m constantly finding new ways of carrying equipment, which type of clothing to bring, and how to spend the night. For example: You can load your bike with front and back panniers, those bags that look like saddle bags, plus a handle bar bag. You can hitch a trailer to the back of your bike and carry everything on it. You can also bring almost nothing as long as you have a credit card and sleep in hotels every night. I have to admit, that sort of sounds appealing. Nice hot shower, a big soft bed, and cable television, a continental breakfast in the morning before peddling off. Some people carry as much as 60lbs. of stuff on the bike, while the super hardcore go ultra light and carry as little as possible. Almost everybody says bring rain gear, and a least 3 water bottles. So many variables, ultimately it comes down to each individual deciding what kind of touring experience you want to have.
I can’t imagine what motivates other people to want to undertake such a tour. But for me it’s many things. I love riding a bike through the countryside, I love sleeping in a tent under the stars, and waking up in the morning to birds chirping. I love cooking outside on an open flame. I think I’m an explorer by nature. I’m also enjoying the process of planning my tour. It’s like a science finding the right balance of equipment, gear, and clothing. You could go crazy buying all the best stuff or shop at thrift stores and get things you need. The best rain gear alone can cost you upwards of $600. Today I saw a rain jacket at a thrift store for $5. I already have rain pants. And It’s the same with everything else. A $3000 touring bicycle, or the $900 one I got.

1 comment:

  1. "I can’t imagine what motivates other people to want to undertake such a tour. But for me it’s many things."

    It is the theme of "Zen, and Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance". That essence of "quality" that each individual spirit brings to their living, loving, and being in this world that makes a statement to the rest of the world about who they think they are. Integrating the visions of mind/body/spirit into one coherent goal, which when acheived is woven into the fabric of who we are. Manifesting that from the unseen and the formless into the external world from which experience is rendered, and "self" is demonstrated. Knowing no other possibility other than sucess. ("What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?") "Quality". A mnay splendored thing that is inherent in all thought, word, and deed.

    And.....you always were a thrifty sumofbitch. j/k
    Daney

    ReplyDelete