Monday, July 6, 2009

Getting the ship in shape

A misty morning
Marvin and I spent the day working on the boat.I did some fiberglass work on the bow while Marvin took care of some rigging.At 3 o'clock we had an appointment to have the boat lifted out of the water so we could clean the bottom of barnacles and installed a new cotter pin on the rudder.Everything went smooth and we had it back in the water and docked in about an hour.Tomorrow I got some sanding and priming to do as well as painting.It's looking real good to get out of port by Friday.We're going to sail at night out of Port Angeles cause during the day it's just too windy.We'll leave port around 9 p.m. and have to sail about 60 miles to get out of the straight of Juan De Fuca and into the Pacific ocean.Sleeping on the boat has been really nice.I have my own quarters in the bow, complete with drawers for all my cloths and bike stuff.It just so happens that everything I brought along for cycling is great for sailing, like my rain gear and flip flops.We have about 50 gallons of fresh water on board a fridge, microwave,gas stove and even a barbecue grill.I'm starting to get real excited about sailing.Marvin and I are getting on just great he's a real sweet guy.He's in constant contact with his family and everyone one here in port just love him.They're all happy that he has me as his sailing partner.I got to know everyone at a 4th of July barbecue a few boats down.This is a real tight knit community here in the marina they look out for one another like family and they are all so nice.I'm at the itty bitty buzz coffee house right now.This town is real nice.They have two bike shops and at least three good coffee shops.What more could you ask for?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to you for making it across the country. You're my hero. You have to send us lots of pics. We still follow you every day. How is that going to work out on the ocean? You need one of those wifi anywhere things. Can you get one by Friday? Well all I have to say is that I'm glad you're starting a new adventure and that ugly ass squirrel is gone from your blog. I like the sunset much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Just ol Aunt Nan again. Please be careful out on the ocean. Had a great 4th here. Lots of fireworks and people. " Yesterday's" had a great crowd and lots of people. Noisy too. Love ya Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey its cory from the little coffe shop in pacific beach, think we met on the 3rd. very happy to hear that you hooked up with the boat and will be on your way. To bad sounds like you wont be making it to mt rainier but if your ever up this way again i would love to put ya up and show ya around the mountain. best of luck keep cruisin

    -cory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenny...I'm really enjoying your blog. This Sue from the coffee shop. Jim and I met you when you were in Jamestown..we live across from Susie. I got Jim that Acer..he has it in Nepal as I write. Check out his blog...Himilayan Journeys with 3 Jewels. Your pics are amazingly beautiful. I check everyday to see how you are doing. I hope you come back to Jamestown and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey buddy,

    don't know what your wifi capabilites are going to be on the boat etc. hopefully we will hear from you before you take off. what a crazy chain of events from the trucker to the boat...completely crazy!! all i can picture is you pirched on the bow of the boat (very titanicesque) singing "i'm sailing away" in a not so serious way:) LOL also check out the link to a song that i want you to hear. great band that i have gotten into the last couple years and their new song reminded me of you. adventure on my friend and don't experience the whiter shade of pale hopefully:)

    link: http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/24/the-avett-brothers-i-and-love-and-you-song-premiere/

    ReplyDelete